Monday, February 20, 2017

Water Leaking In

Hello! This is my first post. My grandfather was a carpenter and built many homes in his lifetime. When I was young, he'd always say, "If nothing else, you always have to have a good roof on your home.", and that is so true and many of us know it. Water is very sneaky at costing you lots of money. Here are a few ways;

  • Leaky Roof.
  • Leaky Toilet.
  • Leaky Pipes.
  • Non-working Sub-pump. 
  • Blocked Sink Drains.
  • Blocked AC Condensate Drain.
  • Blocked Washing Machine Drain.
  • Poor or Lack of Gutters and Downspouts.
  • Poor Surface Drainage.
  • Caulked Deck.
Wait! What? Caulked Deck? All of these are easy to understand, but how does a caulked deck cause a problem you ask? One day I was contacted by a friend and they told me they were having some issues with loose floors. So, I packed up some things and went out to take a look. What I found was that someone had put weather caulking along the join where the deck board meets the sliding glass door threshold. And, Wow!, what a big mistake. Over the years water seeped in and rotted away the Sill Plate, Header Joist, several Floor Joists, and the Floor.





Oh, and the Deck had to go. So it was time to start making repairs. First thing we had to do was bring in some jacks to jack up that side of the house so we could replace the Sill, Header, and Floor Joists.




After all the framing was done. We could move on with installing a new section of flooring and installing a new door.







This is where I stopped at. The Homeowner had to special order siding and decide what style of new deck he wanted. I'll update this post at a later date with the final result.

Thanks, and stay dry!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment